Summer Palace

The Summer Palace was originally built between 1115-1234 during the Jin Dynasty and continued to be worked on to make it flourish and became a beautiful garden known as "The Garden of Clear Ripples", but was attacked by French people and so it was rebuilt in 1886 and then in 1888 the Empress, Dowager Cixi, renamed it the Summer Palace, and used it as a summer vacation home. Now you can visit this beautiful land mark in Bei Jing, China, as a historical and recreational event of your holiday. There are many different attractions that make the Summer Palace a special place to see.





Longevity Hill and Kunming Lake

View of Longevity Hill and Kunming Lake
View of Longevity Hill and Kunming Lake
Longevity Hill is a man-made hill created from the remains of dirt when the hole of the also man-made lake, Kunming Lake, was being e
xcavated. There are many interesting points on Longevity Hill such as the Hall of the Sea of Wisdom at the top and a shopping district nearby. Longevity Hill and Kunming Lake are both not only used as a way to beautify the area, but to also help give a reference as to where something may be. On certain websites, the specific buildings will be noted as either near Longevity Hill or near Kunming Lake. This helps you as a tourist preparing for a vacation or just a person looking for research to know a more precise location of where something is in the Summer Palace.





Long Corridor

Long Corridor View
Long Corridor View

The Long Corridor has actually been in the Guiness Book of World Records as the world's longest hallway. It is 2238 feet long. It also has over 14,000 traditional Chinese paintings in the architicture so be sure to often look at the pillars and cross beams when walking through the walk. The Long Corridor is located in between Kunming Lake and Kunming Hall.












Hall of Dispelling Clouds

Front of the Hall of Dispelling Clouds
Front of the Hall of Dispelling Clouds
The Hall of Dispelling Clouds
is most well known for being used to celebrate Empress Dowager Cixi's birthday and inside are many gifts that she had acquired over the years. Most of these are on display in museums in the world including some in America.
An interesting collection of items found in this area of the Summer Palace is 12 rocks which are believed to represent the 12 animals of the zodiac as well as 2 bronze lions which were used to ward off evil spirits. It is located on the central axis of Longevity Hill.








Hall of the Sea of Wisdom

The Hall of the Sea of Wisdom sits on top of Longevity Hill. This building has over one thousand small Buddha statues in the wall as well as a statue of Kuanyin, the goddess of mercy.
Some of the Thousand Buddha Statues
Some of the Thousand Buddha Statues
This building is one of the very few in the Summer Palace that escaped the attacks of the Anglo-French invasion and was not set on fire. This building is commonly used for worship.
Statue of the Goddess Kuanyin
Statue of the Goddess Kuanyin













17 Arch Bridge

The 17 Arch Bridge is an amazing building located on Kunming Lake. It connects the Summer Palace to the Nan Hu Island. On this bridge there are a total of 17 arches, but there are 9 different sizes of arches, so two smallest, two larger than that, two larger than that, two larger than that and so on until the one biggest arch. This symbolizes good luck There are also 544 carved white marble lions.

IMG_0494.jpg
17 Arch Bridge